With Memorial Day weekend being the unofficial kick off for summer, there are several summertime maintenance tips that come to mind. Summer is the time for travel. The kids are off from school, weather is beautiful, and everyone wants to pile into the car to head off somewhere new. Before you pull out of your driveway, consider the following tips to ensure that you have a safe, trip-ready vehicle! You might even save some money at the gas pump along the way.
1. Simple tire check – It’s easy to overlook tires because they are reliable, do not give much of an indicator when service is necessary, and generally get the job done with little regular maintenance. Checking the tire pressure prior to leaving on any trip is essential and most people overlook it. Driving on both under-inflated and over-inflated tires is dangerous in any season, but moreso as the weather becomes hot. Pressure changes as temperatures rise, putting your vehicle in danger of a blow out or misalignment issue.
2. Check the oil – While most vehicles require an oil change every 3,000 miles, our cars burn more oil over the summer months when long road trips are in the itinerary. Take the time to check the oil prior to any road trip to ensure that levels are appropriate. If the oil is low, top it off before heading out onto the open road.
3. Fluids are your friends – Checking the fluid levels in your vehicle prior to a road trip is essential. Running out of wiper fluid when it’s needed is never a good experience. Neither is being low on coolant because chances are, it’s going to be hot out there when the AC stops doing its job. Best to prepare your vehicle for the road ahead before even starting the engine.
4. Air filter check – Give your air filter a look before any road trip because it’s your car’s first line of defense against debris. A clogged air filter also lowers fuel efficiency and no one wants to pay more than they have to at the pump.
5. What’s that squeak?– The brakes are your first line of defense in an auto emergency. Heading out on a trip with worn brake pads or grinding puts both you and your family at risk. If either squeaking or grinding is noticeable, bring your vehicle in for a quick diagnostic. It doesn’t hurt to check before you are on the road for hours at a time.
6. Clean the battery – A battery weighed down with corrosion can cause a multitude of problems, first being losing its charge. Couple this with hot weather and the opposite effect is possible – overcharging. This could dramatically shorten the lifespan of your battery. Keeping your battery clean can reduce the possibility of overcharging significantly.
For more tips on preparing for a summer road trip, come in to Quality Auto Care. Our expert technicians are happy to advise on this and all car care related matters. It’s our pleasure to help out those in our community and our friends who drive from neighboring communities. We look forward to seeing you!
Few things are guaranteed to extend the life of your vehicle, but keeping up with regular oil changes is most assuredly one of them. For a relatively small amount of time and money, regular oil changes will significantly reduce the risk of engine trouble for the entire lifespan of your vehicle. They are the very definition of preventative maintenance – a routine service that helps one avoid often costly future fixes. Ever wonder why regular oil changes are important for the safe operation of your vehicle? The following are just a few reasons why ignoring this preventative maintenance could damage your engine and ultimately kill your car.
- Oil Stress – When oil is not changed regularly, it will eventually break down due to both temperature and the stress our vehicle puts on the lubricant daily. This breakdown degrades the quality of the oil until it no longer acts as any kind of lubricant at all, the result being friction within the engine that will eventually damage both its effectiveness and the parts within. Ignoring oil changes persistently will result in eventual engine failure.
- Filter clogs – During your oil change, one of our service experts will replace your oil filter. This is key for the proper distribution of oil throughout your vehicle. Not only does it allow clean oil through, but this filter keeps build up and sludge out of the engine. If this filter becomes completely clogged, the engine will seize and ultimately fail.
- Corrosion – Old oil circulated throughout the engine again and again also spreads corrosion thanks to dirt, dust, and even water accumulation over time. These outside influencers may break down the internal parts of the engine after constant abuse. This is another catalyst for future engine failure.
- Cracks or Leaks – Repeat use of old oil may cause cracks or leaks within the engine due to debris circulation. The end result could cause additional coolants or even gasoline to leak into the oil, a mixture which is toxic to the engine’s performance and could vastly shorten the life of your car.
During your oil change at Quality Auto Care, not only will we ensure that you have the top quality oil your vehicle requires, but we will also perform a complete review of your vehicle to ensure that you are safe on the road as we transition into spring. It is recommended that you change your oil every 3,000 miles or three months, whichever comes first. Allow our team of experts to service your vehicle with the utmost care as you relax with a hot cup of coffee. If you need to get back on the road while we work, take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service to get you to and from either work or home. Let us minimize any interruption to your typical daily schedule with flexible transportation options. It’s our goal to make any service as easy as possible for you, our most valued customer. Contact us today to schedule your next oil change. We look forward to your visit!
Many important questions come to mind when considering a repair specialist in Wheat Ridge, Colorado:
- Will my auto issues be discovered and addressed in a timely, cost-effective way?
- Can I trust the advice of those creating my estimate?
- Will I be valued as a customer?
- Will I have to schedule time off to accommodate my need for service?
Here at Quality Auto Care, your business is not just important to us, it is why we come to work every day. You are a part of our extended family and will be treated as such upon arrival. If any auto concerns have you troubled with your vehicle’s performance, trust that everyone at Quality Auto Care will investigate the issue, find its source, and be there to guide you on what your service options are. Each member of our staff is educated in the field of auto repair and will speak with you not only as a technician, but as a fellow car owner. Chances are, we’ve come across similar issues with our own personal vehicles, know how a car will respond, and we will proceed with care.
After being greeted by our friendly and courteous staff, enjoy a hot cup of coffee while you wait. If time is a concern, we understand. Unexpected auto repair can cause a disruption in an otherwise scheduled workday. Feel free to take advantage of our shuttle service so you can stay in step with your current demands either in the office or at home with the kids. Keeping your visit as easy for you as possible is what we strive to achieve here at Quality Auto Care because we know if you are pleased with our service, we will be at the top of your list should a future repair be necessary.
If questions arise during the process, no problem! At any time during your service appointment, our highly skilled team would be happy to discuss what steps are being taken to address the repair and answer any questions that may come to mind during your time with us. Schedule an appointment for routine maintenance today and consider it preventative care for your vehicle. Remaining up-to-date with your factory recommended, routine maintenance is akin to a yearly physical. It ensures that everything is in order and can serve as a means to prepare your vehicle for the demands placed upon it. Whether seasonal changes require an update to your vehicle, or a basic oil change and fluid check are in your near future, we are up to the task and looking forward to assist during your time with us.
Looking for an auto repair specialist in Colorado can be daunting, but with Quality Auto Care, the decision is an easy one. With stellar customer service, a knowledgeable staff, and all of the amenities to keep you returning year after year, Quality Auto Care is ready to make your next service appointment an enjoyable one and remember, it’s our goal for each customer to drive off with a smile!